Old National Gallery
The Old National Gallery is an art museum in Berlin. Its structure, erected between 1867 and 1876, is an integral part of Museum Island. It exhibits works from the neo-classic, romantic and Biedermeier periods, in addition to impressionism and early modernism.
It belongs to the grouping of museums on the Museum Island. The three-winged complex houses the antiquity collection with its architectural samples and sculptures, the Near East Museum and Museum for Islamic art.
It was built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in neo-classic style between 1825 and 1828 and houses the antiquity collection of the Berlin State museums. The landmark-protected building is one of the outstanding examples of this epoch and is considered a high-water mark in Schinkel’s architectural career.
It grew out of the Egyptian department of king Frederick Wilhelm III’s art collection on the recommendation of Alexander von Humboldt. In 1920, James Simon bequeathed to the museum among other pieces the bust of queen Nefertiti, centerpiece of the collection.
It was inaugurated as Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm Museum in 1904 and also belongs to Unesco’s cultural heritage. It houses the sculpture collection, the museum for Byzantine art, and coin collection.
New National Gallery
Dubbed ‘shining temple of glass’, it houses European paintings and sculptures of the 20th century, from classic modernism through the art of the 1960s. Here we find works by Munch, Kirchner, Picasso, Klee, Feininger, Dix, and Kokoschka.
German Historic Museum
It is dedicated to the ‘understanding and appreciation of the bond between the German and all other European nations”. It is home to 300 years of collection history from the Zeughaus (military provisions storehouse), Museum for German History (GDR) and the German History Museum.
Museum of Natural History
It comprises a treasure trove of archival material for the history of the earth and life sciences. Centerstage takes Brachiosaurus brancai, the world’s largest dinosaur skeleton. “Jurascope” has dinosaurs roaming in their virtual environment.
An institute of international renown, it documents the histories of communications, traffic, manufacturing, and energy technologies.
It reflects on two millennia of German-Jewish history, with all the peaks and valleys experienced by Jews and Gentiles in Germany. The museum has a permanent collection, several temporary exhibitions, a large archive, the Rafael Roth Learning Center and research facilities.
Loxx Berlin in miniature format
The extensive miniature world shows the capital city from a unique vantage point. TV tower, zoo, Brandenburg gate or chancery—stroll at a relaxed pace through the cityscape in 1:87 ratio.
The DDR Museum
is an interactive museum located in the center of Berlin. Its permanent exhibit depicts the daily lives and everyday customs in the former GDR. You will find it below the Karl Liebknecht bridge in the Dom Aquarée, across the Berlin Cathedral. Unlike is the case in other museums, a great many of the exhibits may be touched.
Museum for Photography
Since 2004, the museum has turned out to be a favorite haunt for photo enthusiasts from all over the world. More than 700,000 visitors came during recent years to see exhibitions by the Helmut Newton foundation on “Sex and landscapes” to “Newton, Nachtwey, Lachapelle: Men, War, and Peace” to “Pigozzi and the Paparazzi”.
Hamburg Station—Museum for Contemporary Art—Berlin
Hamburg Station was conceived in 1874 as a rail station terminal. From the entrance hall, you will reach the twin-floor western Ehrenhoff wing, which is dedicated as permanent exhibit space to the works of Joseph Beuys. Its eastern wing is occupied by a restaurant and auditorium. The large hall and modern galleries are used for special exhibitions.
Film Museum Potsdam
Opened in 1981 as “GDR Museum of Film”, it was the first of now six film museums existing in Germany. Centerpiece of its exhibits is the world’s oldest film studio, its productions and the artists who acted in films made by Bioscop, UFA, DEFA and Studio Babelsberg. Temporary and family-oriented exhibitions round out the program.